free cheap frugal inexpensive entertainment
Shel Horowitz's Monthly Frugal Fun Tip, Vol. 3, # 12--April, 2000
Are you within driving distance of a college? For most of you, the answer
is yes--and many of you will be able to drive to several colleges.
TIP: colleges and universities offer incredible resources for free and
cheap entertainment. And between now and the end of the semester, there are
more opportunities than at any other time of year.
Many colleges put together a community calendar--pick up a copy, or get on
the mailing list. Also, keep your eyes out for newspaper listings, posters,
Just think of some of the possibilities:
* Annual spring concert, usually by some very big name. Often these are
* Faculty recitals: an opportunity to hear some very bright lights,
especially in classical music, but sometimes in other genres as well. You
may not have heard of them before, but they may well have taught some
* Student drama performances. Most schools will offer at least one major
play at the end of the semester, often directed by a faculty member with
years of experience. Also, senior drama students may create original works
or stage smaller-scale productions. and many college theaters offer at
least one performance at a steep discount--even as little as a dollar per
* Lectures, multimedia presentations, and readings by visiting artists and
* Senior recitals in the music department--typically a much wider range of
genre than the faculty recitals.
* Dances with live bands.
* Art openings, including senior art student shows.
Return to the Frugal Fun Tips Archives
Preview Shel Horowitz's Penny Pinching Hedonist: How to Live Like Royalty with a Peasant's Pocketbook a 280-page e-book that shows you how to save a big pile of money on travel, dining, entertainment, recreation, and all sorts of other fun.
This article originally appeared in Shel Horowitz's Monthly Frugal Fun Tips. Please click here for your free subscription.
|Share this article/site with a Friend|
Many of the 1,000+ articles on Frugal Fun and Frugal Marketing have been gathered into magazines. If you'd like to read more great content on these topics, please click on the name of the magazine you'd like to visit.Ethics Articles - Down to Business Magazine - Frugal & Fashionable Living Magazine
Global Travel Review - Global Arts Review - Peace & Politics Magazine
Frugal Marketing Tips - Frugal Fun Tips - Positive Power of Principled Profit
Disclosures of Material Connections:
- Some of the links on our site and items in our newsletters are sponsored ads or affiliate links. This financial support allows us to bring you the consistent high quality of information and constant flow of new content. Please thank our advertisers if you do business with them.
- As is the case for most professional reviewers, many of the books I review on this site have been provided by the publisher or author, at no cost to me. I've also reviewed books that I bought, because they were worthy of your time. And I've also received dozens of review copies at no charge that do not get reviewed, either because they are not worthy or because they don't meet the subject criteria for this column, or simply because I haven't gotten around to them yet, since I only review one book per month. I have far more books in my office than I will ever read, and the receipt of a free book does not affect my review.
Site copyright © 1996-2011 by Shel Horowitz